I absolutely love hot cross buns but since being gluten free, the only store bought ones I have tried and actually liked are Tescos. Much to my disappointment, my local Tesco didn’t have any in this morning so I decided to make my own! I would normally go traditional and use dried fruit; however my boyfriend will not touch anything with dried fruit in so I made mine with chocolate so I’m not the only one eating them all!
Ingredients (makes 4)
- 2 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 25g unsalted butter
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 250g gluten free white bread flour blend
- 40g caster sugar
- 1 sachet (7g) of fast action dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon or mixed spice
- 100g chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp gluten free plain flour
- In a pan mix the milk, orange zest and butter together and gently heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Remove the pan from the hear and mix until the butter has completely melted. Let this cool to one side.
- In a small bowl mix one egg and the oil together.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the bread flour, sugar, yeast, salt and cinnamon/mixed spice.
- When the milk has cooled, add this and the egg/oil mixture to the large mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Once mixed, add the chocolate chips and fold them in.
- Separate the mixture into four balls and place these next to each other on a lined baking tray.
- Place a tea towel or cling film over the tray and leave it to rest for an hour somewhere warm.
- Mix the second egg and the plain flour together in a bowl and place the mixture into a piping bag.
- After an hour the mixture should have risen slightly. Remove the tea towel/cling film and pipe the flour/egg mixture onto the buns.
- Place the tray into the oven pre-heated to 190°C.
- Let the buns bake for 25-30 minutes until golden before removing them from the oven and enjoying them!
- Don’t put the chocolate chips into the mixture until it is fully mixed as the milk will still be a bit warm and this will melt them!
- The chocolate chips can be substituted for 75g of any dried fruit you like!